Media Advisory: Grandparents’ Day Rally Calls Cuts and Privatization of Seniors Services UnfairEDMONTON—On this year’s Grandparents’ Day, seniors, grandparents and their families are joining together to call on the Alberta government and Minister Fred Horne to protect and enhance quality public care for seniors.
Seniors built this province and instead of caring for Alberta seniors, the Alberta Government is cutting essential seniors public care:
- Cutting $18 million and privatizing homecare
- Cutting $180 million in seniors drug plans
- Privatizing and cutting long-term care beds
- Forcing seniors to accept the first available bed away from family and friends
When: Sunday, September 8th, 1-2pm
Where: Alberta Legislature Building, 10800 97 Ave. N.W., Edmonton
What: The Grandparents’ Day (Un) Fair - A rally in the theme of a fair for seniors and their families to rally against cuts to public seniors care services.
Who: People who advocate or work with seniors and seniors who are affected by the cuts.
The (Un) Fair will feature such activities and booths like:
- Race to the Last Available Bed
- Toss the New Seniors Drug Plan
- Pop the Seniors Care Plan
Coordinated by the member organizations of Public Interest Alberta’s Seniors Task Force-30-